- Since November 2022: Paris Region Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellow at Paris Observatory, at the LESIA
- November 2020 - November 2022: PSL post-doctoral fellow at Paris Observatory, at the LESIA
- June - October 2020: Post-doctoral research associate at KU Leuven, Institute of Astronomy
- June 2017 - May 2020: FWO PEGASUS² Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow at KU Leuven, Institute of Astronomy
- Nov. 2014 - May 2017: Post-doc astronomer, Institut de Radioastronomie Millimétrique, Grenoble. (research in the field of astrophysics, involvment in the NOEMA project, astronomer on duty at NOEMA)
- Sept 2011 - Oct. 2014: Mass loss of evolved massive stars: the circumstellar environment at high angular resolution, Advisors : P. Kervella and G. Perrin, UPMC - LESIA - Observatoire de Paris, High honors. (available online)
Awards and honors
- Medal of the town of Collioure awarded on July 30th 2021, for the Nature publication (see ESO’s press release, or the press coverage), and for the organization of the Festival from the Beach to the Stars for the past 10 years.
- May - July 2022: Estelle Salibur & Tim Dewachter, Bachelor 3rd year at Paris-Saclay University, VLT/NACO lucky-imaging of the environement of Betelgeuse
- November 2017 - December 2021: Emily Cannon, PhD thesis student at the KU Leuven, Observations et diagnosis of red supergiant winds (co-supervision)
- March - May 2020: Lucas Levrouw & Jonathan Luyts, Bachelor 3rd year at the KU Leuven, The dust of GY Aquilae (co-supervision)
- October - December 2019: Cassandra Van der Sijpt & Mathijs Vanrespaille, Bachelor 3rd year at the KU Leuven, The dusty envelope of AH Sco (co-supervision)
- October - December 2018: Sheila Roelens & Bram van den Borne, Bachelor 3rd year at the KU Leuven, Antares: Flux calibration of VLT/SPHERE data (co-supervision)
- March - June 2018: Laurens Bloemens, Master 1st year, Theoritical Astrophysics at the KU Leuven, Characterizing the molecular layer around the red supergiant CE Tauri
- Spring 2014: Anthony Soulain, Master (1st year) Dissertation at LESIA/Observatoire de Paris, HST/STIS observations of the environment of Betelgeuse (co-supervision)
- January - April 2022: Master 1st year - Universe Sciences and Space Technologies. In charge of the Observations and data analysis unit. Co-resp. : C. Leyrat, Observatoire de Paris.
- October 2016: 9th IRAM interferometry school. Grenoble.
- March 2016: Master 2nd year - Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Space Engineering. Observational project at the Observatoire de Haute Provence. Spectroscopy at the 152cm telescope. 1 week. Resp : P. Gallais, Obsevatoire de Paris.
- 2011 - 2014: Teaching mission during the PhD thesis (192h spread over 3 years). Observatoire de Paris.
- Spring 2009: Teaching Internship: 43h of teaching in two classes of a high school. Resp. : B. Raulin, Lycée F. Mistral, Fresnes.
Member of scientific societies
- Since 2022: Member of the International Astronomical Union (IAU)
- Since 2014: Member of the French Astronomical and Astrophysical Society (SF2A)
- May 2022 to May 2023: Expert for the Programe Comittee (OPC) of ESO, D category (Stellar evolution)
- Since Spring 2022: Referee for ApJ et A&A
- Since Spring 2016: Referee for MNRAS
- 2010-2011: Graduation, Master 2nd year : Astronomy, Astrophysics and Spatial Engineering (AAIS), Astrophysics option, Observatoire de Paris, with Honors.
- 2009-2010: Physics "Agregation", ENS Cachan, 43 out of 102 national opened positions. (Agregation is a highly competitive examination of the Ministry of National Education to recruit a high category of teachers)
- September 2007: Gained admittance to Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan. (ENS de Cachan is one of only three institutes of higher education training students to become professors and researchers in their field.)
- Languages Python, IDL, Gildas, Yorick, Midas, Fortran95 (and parallel computing with OpenMP and MPI), C++
- French: Native language
- English: Fluent
- Since September 2017: president of the association From the beach to the stars
- January 2015 to April 2017: in charge of the organization of seminars at IRAM
- PhD students representative at the lab council from December 2011 to December 2013
- In charge of the astronomy club of Meudon observatory from April 2012 to October 2014
Available here or on NASA ADS.
- Since April 2021: Member of the PEPPER collaboration
- Since April 2018: Member of the ATOMIUM collaboration and leader of the Science Working Group Observations optiques
Organisation of conferences/workshops/sessions
- September 2022: Organizer of the ATOMIUM 2022 meeting
- June 2021: Organizer of the Session 21 of the 2021 week of the French Astronomical and Astrophysical Society (SF2A)
- June 2021: Organizer of the Session 22 of the 2021 meeting of the European Astronomical Society (EAS)
- June 2020: Organizer of the Session 5 of the 2020 week of the French Astronomical and Astrophysical Society (SF2A)
- June 2019: Organizer of the Session 19 of the 2019 European Week of Astronomy and Space Science (EWASS)
The head towards the stars
Every Saturday at 7:25am in 2022-2023 on France Bleu Roussillon. The full playlist is available here.
Festival from the Beach to the Stars
In 2011, I co-founded an astronomy outreach festial in my hometown, Collioure (South of France). Now, I am the president of the association From the Beach to the Stars that organizes the event. To learn more: the Festival's website (in French)
- August 2022 : Hugo Lisoir, An Observatory in Paris?
- January 2022 : Defakator, Stars and Thrills: Astronomy live stream
- November 2021 : Rencontres du Ciel et de l'Espace, Betegeuse's mystery explained
- October 2021 : Observatoire de Paris, Live night observations for the Science Days 2021
- July 2021 : Defakator, Jubilant night from the Observatory
- June 2021 : Observatoire Astronomique du Gros Cerveau, Did the red supergiant star Betelgeuse wink at us?
- February 2021 : MUMONS, Betelgeuse, imminent supernova?
- January 2021 : Spatialiste, Betelgeuse, the red supergiant star!
- February 2020 : Guillaume Doyen, The truth about Betelgeuse
- October 2016 : Florence Porcel, Observing with l'IRAM
- Montargès, M. Septembre 2021, L’Astronomie, 135, p 6, Betelgeuse's wink
- Montargès, M. 2018, Ciel & Espace, 558, p 24 : The Supermoon Blues
- Montargès, M. 2017, Ciel & Espace, 556, p 70 : The French instrumental heritage: inertia, perils (and hopes)?
- Montargès, M. Décembre 2017, L’Astronomie, 111, p 18 : Betelgeuse, the star of winter: a much observed star
To send me an email:
Thank you for your email.